What is Sand blasting?
Sand blasting is basically used to clean the surface of any material, mainly for the metallic surface. It is one of the most efficient and quick method which uses compressed air to blast fine sand through a nozzle to shape and smooth surface of any foreign material. It is well suited for the removal of rust which causes property damage.
It is used not only to remove rust but to prepare surface for high performance coatings or to treat final products to give them luster and surface texture desired by the retail consumer. Materials used in sandblasting are sand, copper slog, steel grit, pieces of walnut, powder abrasive, pieces of avocado and many others.
These different types of materials have different shape, hardness and density. Each of this material has some unique application within the industry. Use of silica sand as abrasive material in sand blasting is banned in many countries because silica sand easily breaks up cause’s large amount of dust. Extended inhalations of dust by workers who are involved in the process of sand blasting suffer from serious disease named silicosis of lungs.
Secondly sand contains high moisture content that can lead to the premature demise of blasting equipment. Instead of sand we use steel grit for removing rust sand layers of paint from thick metal surface and crushed glass for light surface which could be damaged, if we use other heavier materials.
There are many equipment used in sand blasting are batch type system, through feed system, hanger type system and manipulator type system.
Types of sand blaster:
- Suction/siphon system: It draws the blast material into compressed air stream and then to the nozzle itself.
- Pressure blast system: The material goes through the valve and into compressed air stream which is placed in blast nozzle. The nozzle accelerates the material and it impacts the surface of the component. Pressure system are ten times faster and much more efficient but expensive.
Steps involved in sand blasting:
- The first step in this process is to determine the kind of material and equipment that are necessary to complete the task. Ensure that there is no residue on surface on which you will be working as it may result in marred finish. Analyze the degree of work, type of blasting material and what tools will need to be used. Ensure that all safety apparel is available.
- Prepare your surrounding area to avoid an unnecessary mess.
- Blast off?? Define process this process requires practice before being able to perform the task properly.
Uses and advantages of sand blasting:
- It can be used to remove old paint, smooth a rough surface or give shape to an object. Old and faded surfaces are also cleaned by sand blasting.
- Use of sand blasting It helps to preserve the use and longevity of your metal pipes and furniture’s made by metals and fittings.
- It helps to rejuvenate the material and making it look new again.
- It allows you to access corners and areas that are difficult to reach.
- It helps to prepare surface for subsequent stoning and polishing.
- It saves time and is more efficient than sandpaper.
- This process does not make use of complex machineries.
- The powerful action of sandblasting removes deposits even from tough surfaces like concrete.
Precaution during sand blasting :
- Use of protective gloves.
- Wear safety goggles to protect your eyes.
- Ensure that you wear a mask to avoid inhaling tiny particles of dust.